Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Whirlwind

It's been a bit of a whirlwind around here lately.

To say we've been busy is an understatement. All I know is I can NOT wait for the clocks to change...and that is a major change from my norm. I usually can't stand when the clocks change because it throws off my day for weeks afterward. But this time there is so much that I need to do and the extra hour in the evenings will be so very helpful.

This has also been rather helpful:

We are now the proud new owners of  this heavy duty diesel truck. It's shiny and pretty and best of all it has an 18,000 pound towing capacity. This purchase is the third in a (long)  list of purchases that will be more than helpful in the long term. Not only will it make our trips to and from the property in Alabama easier, but once we are living up there permanently it will be indispensable. 

So, not only have we managed to make one more step towards our goal, but along with it we've been speaking with a few contractors and making leeway in that area as well.  

Speaking of whirlwinds, my little whirlwinds are going to be off on Spring Break in less than 2 weeks. That is the start of the real Spring season around here. We'll need to make a trip up to the property as the Division of Forestry was supposed to be out to do a burn of the underbrush this month and we need to make sure that no other damage occurred while they were there.

Between all that is going on and needs to happen so I am also doing my Spring planting, and trying to figure out a simple solution to a rat problem that started this month as well. Once our temps got warm around here the rats decided to move into my chicken coop. This hasn't been a problem the last 2 years, but now suddenly I have to do something fast! I've found a feeder that would work but at $80 after shipping it's kinda pricey. I am not confident enough in my ability to make my own treadle feeder so now I'm seeking other options and considering confining my hens to a much smaller enclosure than can be managed with hardware cloth to prevent this from continuing. 

Ho-Hum... Still trying to keep up.

See you soon!

Barbie~

1 comment:

  1. We had a horrible rat problem 3 years ago out in the chicken yard...someone dumped off 2 wild baby cats...the chickens took them under their wings (seriously) and within 2 months the rats were gone...we still have the two wild cats...they actually stand guard over the chickens when they free range.

    ReplyDelete